Driving Safety Tips To Avoid Accidents In Winter Weather
The weather is cooling down, and we have already experienced some wintery weather. While we may be in the “South,” we still have plenty of areas throughout North Carolina, including Charlotte, that experience wintery driving conditions. At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, our Charlotte car accident attorneys want to help you stay safe. By following these safety tips, you will be taking accident prevention seriously.
How you can prepare for safe winter driving
Preparing for winter driving before the bad weather is important and can prevent a last-minute scramble ahead of approaching winter weather.
- Check the treads of your tires. If they are looking haggard, it may be time to replace them. Poorly-treaded tires can lead to serious winter driving crashes.
- Make sure your tires a properly inflated so they perform at optimal levels.
- Get your vehicle tuned up. Make sure the brakes are in good shape. Have the fluids checked?
- Never start your vehicle to warm it up in an enclosed area like a garage. The fumes from vehicle exhaust can cause serious health problems and even death.
If you are on the roadway in wintery conditions
If you have to be on the roadway when it is snowy or icy outside, you need to be extra cautious. These tips will help keep you and others on the roadway safe.
- Make sure you clean off your windows before you drive. You also need to clear any snow or ice away from your headlights and taillights. If you have enhanced driving sensors or a backup camera, clear those as well.
- Plan your route before you go. Know where you are going and let someone know you intend to drive and how long your drive will take.
- If you are not used to driving in wintery conditions, practice driving on some backroads before you head out on a major roadway.
- Try to drive in any tracks left by any vehicle in front of you. These areas will dry faster and likely be less slippery.
- Do not use cruise control on icy or wet driving conditions.
- Take your time. Driving fast in wintery conditions is a recipe for disaster.
We can help if you are involved in an accident
During the latest reporting year in North Carolina, there were over 275,000 total car accidents in the state. Out of those, there were 127,964 injuries and 1,396 fatalities. Many of these incidents happened in wintery weather conditions.
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a car crash that was caused by another person’s negligence, please seek legal assistance immediately. At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, we are standing by to help. We want to ensure you get the compensation you deserve for your medical bills, property damage, lost income, and pain and suffering damages. When you need a trusted Charlotte car accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 800-948-0577.