How Can I Recover Damages After A Truck Collision?
When you are on the roadway, the last thing you should have to worry about is sustaining an injury caused by the negligence of a truck driver or trucking company. However, these accidents are not uncommon. At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, we are here when you need a Charlotte truck accident attorney. Here, we want to review the steps you can take to recover compensation after a collision with a large commercial truck.
Steps to strengthen your Charlotte truck accident case
Just because you know that a truck driver or trucking company caused your crash and injuries does not mean that the insurance carrier or a jury will agree. There are several steps you can take to ensure your claim is viable and that you receive maximum compensation. Truck accidents can be devastating for victims, so it is important to ensure your case is handled properly.
- Medical care first: In order to get proper compensation for your Charlotte truck accident claim, you need to seek medical care as soon as possible. Not only will this ensure your well-being, but it will also establish a link between your injuries and the truck crash. Even if you feel no pain or think your injuries are minor, you need to let a doctor examine you.
- The police: In the aftermath of any commercial truck crash, the police need to be called to the scene so they can conduct an investigation and complete their accident report.
- Gather evidence: If you can do so safely at the scene, gather as much evidence as possible. Use a phone to take photographs of vehicle damage, any injuries, traffic and weather conditions, causes of the crash, and more. Get the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses. You also need to get the commercial driver’s license number of the truck driver as well as the truck insurance information.
- Speak to an attorney: Commercial truck accident cases are going to be much more complicated than a traditional vehicle versus vehicle crash. These cases will involve well-funded truck companies and their insurance carrier. You need a Charlotte truck accident lawyer with the resources and experience necessary to stand up to any adversary.
- Continue medical care: You need to follow all treatment plans prescribed by your doctor until you have reached maximum medical improvement. If you discontinue your medical treatment, the other parties involved could use this as a reason to deny your insurance claim.
Let out Charlotte truck accident lawyers help
If you or a loved one had been injured in a crash that was caused by a commercial truck driver or trucking company, you may be entitled to various types of compensation. At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, we will thoroughly investigate your case so we can secure the following:
- Coverage of your medical bills related to the crash
- Any lost income you incur if you cannot work
- Property damage expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages against the truck driver or trucking company