What To Do If I Am Injured In A Hit & Run Accident?
Nobody wants to get into a car accident of any kind. However, hit-and-run accidents can be particularly devastating and difficult to deal with. The team at Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC regularly helps victims of hit-and-run incidents. Here, our Charlotte hit and run lawyers want to discuss what you can do in the aftermath of a hit-and-run accident. We are dedicated to helping victims secure the compensation they need.
These incidents can be horrific
Getting into a hit-and-run accident can be a terrifying experience. Just like any other car accident, a hit-and-run incident can lead to serious injuries. However, because the driver flees the scene, the aftermath of the crash can become complicated, especially when it comes to securing compensation.
There are several steps you can take in order to help the police, as well as your insurance carrier, in these cases.
- Do not pursue the driver. No matter what, do not go after a driver that leaves the scene. Doing so is dangerous and against the law. Stay at the crash scene and try to remember as much information about the fleeing driver and vehicle, including the:
- Driver’s physical description
- Vehicle license plate number
- Vehicle make, model, in color
- The direction the vehicle was driving
- Call 911. Ensure that police, fire, and EMS personnel are on the way to the scene.
- Seek medical care. If you are injured, seek immediate medical care for your injuries. Not only does this ensure your well-being, but it establishes a link between the hit-and-run accident and your injuries for the purposes of an insurance claim.
- Document the scene. If you are able to do so safely, use a phone camera or other device to document the same. This includes any remaining vehicles, damages to vehicles, any injuries, possible causes of the crash, and more. Secure the names and information of any eyewitnesses to the crash.
- Notify your insurer. When the immediate emergency is over, notify your insurer about the incident. You should also check your policy limits for uninsured motorist coverage because this may be necessary to obtain compensation for what has happened.
- Contact an attorney. A skilled Charlotte car accident lawyer will be able to help you process your claim and work with law enforcement authorities in their investigation.
Our team is ready to help you through this
If you or somebody you care about has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of a hit-and-run driver, you should talk to an attorney as soon as possible. The team at Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC understands how difficult these cases can be, and we will work to secure the compensation you are entitled to. This can include:
- Your medical expenses related to the hit-and-run crash
- Lost wages if you are unable to work while you recover
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages against the driver if they are apprehended