What To Do If I Am Involved In A Hit And Run Accident?
Being involved in any car accident is scary, and the aftermath of the incident can be confusing. This is especially true for hit and run accidents. If you or a loved one are struck by a hit and run driver, the team at Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC wants to help ensure you are properly compensated for what happened. Let our Charlotte hit and run lawyers work to investigate your case and secure coverage of your medical expenses, lost income, and more.
Charlotte Hit And Run Accidents Will Happen – What Can You Do?
According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, there were more than 281,000 total accidents reported across the state in the latest year of data available. Out of these incidents, 1,142 people lost their lives, and more than 125,000 were injured. Unfortunately, hit and run incidents injure many drivers and passengers each year in NC.
There are some important steps you can take if you are involved in a hit and run accident.
- Get to safety and call 911. Do not try to chase a person that flees the scene of an accident. You need to pull over to a safe location and call the police. Give the dispatcher as much information as you can about the driver and vehicle that fled.
- Seek medical assistance. If you or anybody else is injured, the number one priority is to receive medical care. Please understand that some accident injuries are not immediately apparent. You should let a doctor determine the full extent of your injuries.
- Gather evidence at the scene. If you can safely do so, use your phone or other cameras to take pictures of the scene, including vehicle damages, injuries, the debris field, and more. Get the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses to the incident.
- Contact a skilled attorney. You should talk to a skilled hit and run lawyer in Charlotte as soon as possible so you understand every option available for you to secure compensation.
- Report the incident to your insurer. You need to report the incident to your insurer as soon as possible after the accident. You do not have to go into detail about what happened at this point. This is a good time to see how much-uninsured motorist coverage you carry through your policy. If a hit and run driver is not caught, this may be your main route to compensation.
Let Us Get To Work On Your Case
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a hit and run accident, seek legal assistance immediately. At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, we are dedicated to helping victims secure the compensation they need in these situations. This could include:
- All hit and run accident injury expenses
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Possible punitive damages in cases of gross negligence