Matthew C. Berthold Associate
Matthew has been a trial attorney since 2013 when he began practicing at his father’s firm in his hometown of Charleston, West Virginia. Growing up around the legal practice, Matthew was ingrained with the struggle that families suffering catastrophic injuries or deaths had to endure every day, and raised with the empathy and passion to relentlessly fight to obtain justice on behalf of the people. After representing West Virginians for years, Matthew and his wife Kirsten relocated to Charlotte where he began his North Carolina practice in 2020.
Now with Brown Moore & Associates, Matthew continues to represent victims and their families throughout all of North Carolina, litigating cases both large and small. He is passionate about fighting for every client, no matter the size of the case, to ensure that they are treated fairly, with respect, and to obtain the best possible outcome. Matthew is a firm believer that all catastrophic injury victims deserve the highest quality legal representation and that is what Brown Moore & Associates will provide. Through hard work and thoughtful representation, Matthew provides his clients with a legal experience without the stress and worry that many litigants face, while still achieving the results his clients deserve. During his time as a trial attorney, Matthew has advocated as lead attorney in successfully litigating cases to jury verdict, through arbitration, as well as obtaining favorable settlements for his clients. Matthew also had the honor of serving as co-lead and/or liaison counsel in Mass Litigation cases before the West Virginia Mass Litigation Panel.
Matthew is a proud member of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ), the West Virginia Association for Justice (WVAJ), and American Association for Justice (AAJ), and is honored to have been selected as a member of the inaugural class of the NCAJ Next Leadership Program. Matthew also was appointed to be a member of the North Carolina Bar Association, Professionalism Committee.
Prior to practicing law, Matthew completed his undergraduate education at the University of Kentucky before going on to work in the NBA for the Los Angeles Clippers. During his time in the Clippers Communications Department, Matthew worked closely with the Clippers Vice President of Communications, as well as the Los Angeles media, on a variety of team and media relations and publications. After working in Los Angeles, Matthew went on to the West Virginia University College of Law where he received his Juris Doctorate degree. Outside of his practice of law, Matthew and Kirsten reside in Charlotte with their son, Austin, and dog, Bodhi, and enjoy exploring all that Charlotte and North Carolina has to offer.
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina,
- U.S. District Court Southern District of West Virginia
- West Virginia University College of Law, J.D.
- University of Kentucky, B.S.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), Member
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ), Member
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice NEXT Leadership Program, Inaugural Class Member
- West Virginia Association of Justice (WVAJ), Member
- West Virginia Association of Justice (WVAJ), Board of Governor (2014-2020)
- North Carolina State Bar, Member
- West Virginia State Bar, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Professionalism Committee, Member
Honors and Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star
- West Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star – Plaintiff’s Medical Malpractice
- National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40