Could These Textured Implants Cause Cancer?
We use plenty of product throughout the day. There is no argument that we are a consumer society, but how sure are we that everything we use is safe? All too often, we learn of defective products that cause people harm. If you or a loved one are ever injured and need a Charlotte product liability lawyer, the team at Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC will work to secure the compensation you deserve. Today, we want to discuss an alarming recall that could affect many women in our area.
What is going on with Allergan breast implants?
Many women are at risk of getting breast cancer in their lifetimes, but they certainly should not have to worry about getting a different type of cancer due to the breast implants they’ve chosen. Unfortunately, it has finally been confirmed that some textured Biocell breast implants made by Allergan Inc. have been linked to a rare type of cancer.
- This is not breast cancer, but rather breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL).
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently announced a global recall of Allergan’s Biocell textured implants. In a statement, Allergan said, “Biocell saline-filled and silicone-filled textured breast implants and tissue expenders will no longer be distributed or sold in any market where they are currently available.”
The FDA points out that the overall risk of cancer is low, but that there is an overwhelming link to these implants in the victims who do have this cancer. The FDA first reported this possible link in 2011.
- Nearly 314,000 people received breast implants in the US during 2018.
- The use of textured implants is less common in the US than overseas.
- This is slow-growing cancer and is usually successfully treated by surgically removing the implants.
The FDA does not recommend the removal of implants already in place unless women are experiencing complications.
Always be informed
You should always keep track of the products that have been recalled. All too often, we have recalled products in our home and do not even realize it. Keep yourself and your family safe from the carelessness or negligence of companies and manufacturers.
It is time to take the next step
If you or someone you care about has been injured or become ill due to a defective product, you need to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, our knowledgeable and experienced team is ready to get to work investigating your case today. We believe in holding negligent companies and manufacturers accountable for their actions so you can get the compensation you need:
- Coverage of medical expenses related to the faulty product incident
- Recovery of lost wages if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Punitive damages against the company or manufacturer