Charlotte Roadside Impact Accident Attorney
There is a buffer zone on either side of a North Carolina highway in which utility poles and other safety hazards are not allowed or are strictly regulated because of the potential danger to motorists. This zone is called a “clear recovery area” and is regulated by the State Department of Transportation. There are also restrictions on roadside parking and wide loads for similar traffic safety reasons.
If you were injured in a car accident because of unauthorized obstacles in the “clear recovery area” or otherwise injured in a roadside collision, contact us today to discuss your possible legal remedies in a free consultation. The Charlotte personal injury lawyers of Brown Moore & Associates, PLLC, have experience with significant claims in this specialized area of traffic accident litigation.
Obstructions in the Clear Recovery Area
The North Carolina Department of Transportation recognizes a clear recovery area (CRA) extending beyond the shoulder and the berm of public roadways. Utility companies and businesses must obtain permission from the DOT to place utility poles, light posts, telephone poles, signage, culverts, fences, and other permanent obstructions in the right of way. The width of the CRA is specific to traffic levels, the design speed, and curvature of the roadway, among other factors. The DOT does not prohibit poles but regulates their placement to minimize the public safety risk.
Charlotte Roadside Impact Accident Attorneys
We can handle other auto accidents occurring on the side of the road and attributable to the negligence of other drivers or entities:
- Violation of oversized vehicle (wide load) restrictions
- Parking vehicles or trailers on the roadside for extended periods
- Parking tractor-trailers on the shoulder or lane without hazard signals or flares
- State troopers, utility workers, or stranded motorists struck by passing vehicles in violation of North Carolina’s Move Over law
- Collisions, rollovers, or left-the-road accidents caused by debris or obstacles in the roadway
- Injuries caused by improperly graded roadsides or road surfaces
Brown Moore & Associates handles motor vehicle accidents in Charlotte, Monroe, Gastonia, Shelby, Concord, Kannapolis, Mooresville, and surrounding communities of North Carolina. We invite you to contact our office to schedule a complimentary initial consultation. To make an appointment, call toll free 800-948-0577 or send us an e-mail.