Shelby, NC Personal Injury Attorney
Being injured in a car wreck, slip-and-fall accident, dog bite attack, or other incidents can be a monumental event that changes your life forever. Reeling from the aftermath of a personal injury is hard enough. Juggling medical appointments, nursing wounds, and dealing with insurance companies can really take their toll on your overall well-being and emotional health. Throw in the fact that you may be struggling financially because you are suddenly unable to work and you have a recipe for a nightmare. If you have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, consult with a competent personal injury attorney right away to help lighten the load and preserve your right to collect damages from the at-fault party.
What Constitutes a Personal Injury?
In a nutshell, a personal injury is an injury sustained due to the actions (or sometimes, inactions) of another person or entity. Injuries can be physical, mental, and financial. In order to receive compensation for a personal injury, a personal injury claimant must prove that the other party in the case acted irresponsibly or recklessly and those actions resulted in the sustained injury. For example, a landlord rents you an apartment with a broken stair railing, and you ultimately end up injured when it breaks. The landlord may be held liable for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages that result from your injury.
Statute of Limitations on Personal Injury Claims in North Carolina
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in North Carolina is three years. Although there are some narrow exceptions, most personal injury claims must be filed during that time period. This makes it important that all personal injury claims are filed in a timely fashion by your Shelby, NC personal injury attorney.
Common Personal Injury Causes
The most common personal injury claim in North Carolina results from involvement in an auto accident. And while some of the most life-altering injuries can occur during the course of a car wreck, other personal injury causes that lead to personal injury claims include:
- Dog bite attacks: North Carolina dog owners can be held responsible if their dogs bite or maul another animal or person.
- Medical injuries: Malpractice claims result when medical professionals do not practice the standards of care required by law and injuries result.
- Slip-and-fall claims: Property owners owe a duty of care to most visitors to their premises. If they fail in that duty, and injury results, they subject themselves to personal injury claims.
- Nursing home neglect and abuse: When caregivers cause harm or allow patients in their care to fall into harm’s way, they can be held accountable in a court of law (and potentially in a criminal court).
- Wrongful death: Families of deceased personal injury victims have a right to seek compensation for the loss left in their lives with the premature passing of a loved one.
Do You Have a Personal Injury Claim?
If you are wondering whether or not you have a personal injury claim, your next move should be to reach out to Shelby, NC personal injury attorney with Brown Moore & Associates, PLLC, for a consultation and case review. Our seasoned team can go over the particulars in your case to help you understand your rights under the law. Contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling 800-948-0577.